Our Approach to Rehab During Cancer Treatment
Cancer treatment can affect multiple aspects of your life. At Kettering Health, our rehab services are targeted to your specific needs and symptoms. Our goal is to help you achieve your highest level of function.
Rehab Medicine in Cancer Care: Why Choose Us?
People who choose our Rehab Medicine Program benefit from the following:
- Oncology-trained professionals: Our licensed occupational, physical and speech therapists have specific training and expertise to support patients with cancer. We work closely with your referring physician to align rehabilitation goals with your overall treatment plan.
- Support through the spectrum of care: We provide rehab at any point along your treatment journey. Whether you have a new diagnosis or have been cancer-free for years, you have access to rehab services if you need them.
- Flexibility: Our specialists use a flexible approach, so you know what goals to work toward on your “good days” and when to scale back on more challenging days.
- NeuroRehab and Balance: This specialized clinic supports those who have neurological changes, due to their cancer diagnosis. The NeuroRehab and Balance Program is the only one of its kind in western Ohio. Therapists can help you gain balance, speech, and other important skills to achieve your highest level of function possible.
Specialized Rehab Services
We provide a variety of rehab medicine services. We offer the following:
- Acute inpatient: We offer rehab services for those who are hospitalized due to cancer-related symptoms or surgery. Our staff have the expertise to work with all cancer diagnoses, even complex cancers.
- Inpatient rehabilitation program: This specialized program, provides intensive therapy for a minimum of three hours a day. Our goal is to help you achieve your highest level of function possible before returning home. We also work with your family or caregiver so you can continue to receive the care you need after your inpatient stay.
- Outpatient: We designed our outpatient rehabilitation services to help those with specific symptoms related to their cancer care. For example, you may work with our providers to regain muscle strength, improve speech, or increase your balance. We help you transition to wellness-focused services when you’re ready to enter the next phase of your recovery.
Your rehab plan might include the following:
- Physical therapy to work on motor skills, strength, coordination, endurance and balance.
- Occupational therapy to work on motor skills that impact daily living activities. Such as self-care and home management tasks.
- Speech-language pathology to work on speaking, communicating, swallowing, or thinking skills.
We also provide specialized services for specific concerns. Our specialty rehab services include the following:
- Amputee therapy
- Balance therapy
- Pelvic floor therapy
- Lymphedema therapy
- Swallowing therapy
- Vision therapy