Our Personalized Approach to Cancer Prevention
At Kettering Health, our goal is to detect cancer in its early stages when it is easier to treat. We use a range of screenings and prevention tools to get you an early diagnosis. Your cancer-prevention plan includes a personalized risk assessment to ensure your care is suited best to meet your needs.
Cancer Prevention: Why Choose Us?
When you choose us, you benefit from the following:
- Advanced technology: We use state-of-the-art tools for cancer screenings. For example, our Kettering Breast Evaluation Centers use 3D imaging and sophisticated software to help us interpret mammograms more accurately. We use Volpara technology to give each woman a breast density score that helps us determine cancer risk.
- Coordinated care: If the results of a routine screening tell us we need more testing, an imaging or nurse-care navigator walks you through next steps. We help you schedule your next appointment, understand your testing options, and interpret results so you understand what they mean. We use comprehensive tools for cancer diagnosis and evaluation.
- Easy-to-access tools: At all of our locations across western Ohio, we use software called MyChart. With this easy-to-use tool, you can complete your cancer risk assessment, schedule a screening mammogram, and communicate with your provider.
- Individualized prevention plans: We personalize each cancer prevention plan to your individual needs and risks. When you come to us, you take a free cancer risk assessment. This test accounts for all family (hereditary), genetic, and lifestyle factors that affect your personal cancer risk.
- Prioritization on your comfort: In our facilities, we aim to make your time with us as comfortable as possible. In our Kettering Breast Evaluation Centers, we offer Sensory Suites so you can view images such as a garden, beach, or waterfall. We provide cozy robes, keep our exam rooms at comfortable temperatures and even use patient-assisted compression so you have more control over your mammogram.
Cancer Screenings We Offer
Routine screenings are proven to be the best way to prevent cancer. At Kettering Health, our specialists use the most advanced technology to ensure we detect cancer early.
Depending on your age, sex, and other personal risk factors, you may have screenings for
- Breast cancer: Screening mammograms are the gold-standard tool for detecting breast cancer early. We use advanced software to help us read mammograms more precisely, so you have the highest possible chance of an early diagnosis.
- Cervical cancer: Pap tests and screenings for human papillomavirus (HPV) are the best way to find cervical cancer in its early stages. Our gynecologists provide personalized recommendations for your screening schedule.
- Colorectal cancer: Screenings such as colonoscopies and stool tests help us find abnormal growths that could lead to colorectal cancer. Removal of these growths as soon as they’re found lowers your risk of colorectal cancer.
- Lung cancer: If you have a history of smoking, you may be a candidate for lung cancer screening. An imaging scan called a low-dose computed tomography (LDCT) can help us find lung cancer early—when it is easier to treat.
- Prostate Cancer: The PSA (prostate-specific antigen) blood test is the leading method of screening for prostate cancer.