At Kettering Health, we invest in world-class radiation therapies to give you the best possible outcome. We offer stereotactic radiation therapy and other advanced radiation techniques in a comfortable community setting. Our skilled teams use the newest innovations to target cancer with greater accuracy than ever before and in less time.
Why Choose Us for Radiation Oncology?
People throughout western Ohio come to us for radiation therapy for many reasons. Our program stands out because of our
- Elite quality and safety standards: We follow NCCN Guidelines®, which are strict national standards that guide our care based on the latest cancer research. Our team stays up to date on rapidly evolving technologies and research studies so you receive an exceptional level of care, quality, and safety.
- Expert care for complex cases: Our specialists treat cancers at any stage. We have a long-standing reputation for managing rare and complicated cancer cases in new and effective ways.
- High-tech tools: We use top-of-the-line equipment and sophisticated computer software to plan your treatment sessions. Our advanced technologies also mean treatments that previously took hours now take minutes to complete.
- Highly trained specialists: Our board-certified radiation oncologists have trained at some of the nation’s top institutions. Our teams treat cancers at any stage with the latest techniques and a high level of precision.
- Ongoing innovation: We were the first center in the region to offer breakthrough Gamma Knife® technology. We use the newest Gamma Knife® model (the Icon™) to treat brain tumors quickly and more comfortably. It offers an unprecedented level of accuracy and life-changing treatment. Gamma Knife® technology is one of several state-of-the-art treatment options we offer.
- Personal attention: Radiation therapy is complex, and you may have questions about what to expect. We take our time to explain what you need to know and prepare you for each step. We prioritize your comfort and do everything we can to accommodate your preferences and put you at ease.
- Support for side effects and more: During treatment, our team regularly checks on you so we can quickly address any side effects or concerns you may have. We offer many support services and integrative medicine therapies—at no charge. We’re committed to helping you cope with the physical, mental, and spiritual effects cancer can have on your life.
What Is Radiation Therapy?
Radiation therapy is a cancer treatment that uses beams of powerful energy to destroy cancer cells. Our radiation oncologists use advanced technologies and work in teams with other cancer specialists so you receive coordinated care.
Radiation therapy is typically one of two main types:
- External: In external beam radiation therapy, you lie beneath or inside a large machine that emits beams of energy. We use high-tech computer programs to focus beams on tumor cells while minimizing the impact to your body’s healthy tissues.
- Internal: Internal radiation therapy is also called brachytherapy. We perform a specialized procedure placing a very small amount of radioactive material inside your body near the tumor. The radiation destroys nearby cancer cells as it gets released over days or weeks.
If you have cancer, your care team may recommend radiation therapy
- Before surgery to shrink a tumor and make surgery safer
- After or instead of surgery to treat cancer that has spread to other areas or relieve symptoms
- In combination with other cancer treatments, such as chemotherapy (medicines that destroy cancer cells throughout the body) or surgery
Featured radiation therapies
We offer a spectrum of leading radiation therapies, including the following: