Why Choose Kettering Health for Lipid Management
High cholesterol, particularly LDL (low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol, is the leading risk factor for developing cardiovascular disease.
The Kettering Health Lipid Management Program serves people who need care to lower their cholesterol levels. Our unique program offers the following:
- Comprehensive team approach: Your care team includes a lipid management specialist, licensed practical nurses (LPNs), and medical assistants. Together they coordinate and monitor your care, including health insurance approvals for your medications.
- Decades of experience: Our lipid management specialists have successfully treated tens of thousands of people over the past 25 years.
- Intensive treatment: For patients who have had an angioplasty, coronary bypass surgery, heart attack, stroke, or related health complication due to high cholesterol, we strive to get their LDL (low density lipoprotein) below 70 milligrams per deciliter (mg/DL). This can help prevent future cardiovascular events, especially for people who are 65 years old or older.
- Preventive care: We also provide preventive care for people with high cholesterol (including LDL over 100 mg/DL), high blood pressure, or other risk factors. Risk factors can include age, family history, diabetes, or thyroid disorders.
- Patient education and support: We partner with you on your journey toward your best health, teaching you about the different types of cholesterol (LDL, HDL, and triglycerides) and how medication and dietary changes can help control your levels.
- The latest medications: Your specialist may prescribe statin drugs or cholesterol absorption inhibitors that help decrease the amount of cholesterol in your body. We can also prescribe the latest class of self-injectable drugs, known as PCSK9 inhibitors, for high-risk patients who do not respond well to other medications.
The Lipid Management Program at Kettering Health is a lifelong disease prevention plan. We are here to help you track your medications, watch your diet, and reach your health goals, including your cholesterol levels.
Once you reach your goals, we see you on an annual basis to test your cholesterol levels and assess your medication needs.