Prep time: 15 MINS Cook time: 35 MINS
Total time: 50 MINS
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ red bell pepper
- ½ green bell
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable stock
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss the onions, celery, bell peppers, zucchini, and garlic with olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until the vegetables are charred in some places, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer roasted vegetables to a high-power blender, add broth and puree mixture until smooth. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, melt butter in a saucepan, add flour and cook roux, stirring, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add pureed stock mixture in a stream, whisking to prevent lumps, stirring frequently, over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat, season to taste with salt and pepper, add sage, bay leaf, and simmer, whisking occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Discard sage and bay leaves, and enjoy with your favorite foods.
The month's most popular health news, stories, and tips in your inbox.Sign Up