Dr. Patel specializes in cerebrovascular diseases and is dual-trained in complex cerebrovascular neurosurgery and endovascular neuroradiology.
He is originally from Cleveland, Ohio, and he completed his medical school in northeast Ohio. After having the opportunity of completing neurosurgery residency and fellowship training on both the east and west coasts, which has given him the unique opportunity to treat diverse patient populations, he has returned home to practice in the greater Dayton area.
Scope of Service
Dr. Patel has expertise in treating brain aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations (AVM), cavernous malformations, carotid stenosis, stroke, skull base tumors, intracranial hemorrhages (ICH), Moyamoya disease and trigeminal neuralgia. In addition to performing open cranial surgeries, Dr. Patel uses minimally invasive endovascular approaches whenever possible and indicated. He also has experience in treating a variety of degenerative and traumatic spine conditions.
- 2010: Northeast Ohio Medical University
- University of Maryland Medical Center
- Swedish Medical Center Neurosurgery Fellowships
- Member: American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS):
- Member: Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS):
- Member: Joint Cerebrovascular (CV) Section of the AANS and CNS:
- Member: AANS/CNS Joint Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves:
- Member: American Medical Association (AMA):
- Member: Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Medical Society:
Dr. Patel's is to approach the care of each of his patients as if they were a member of his own family. He strives to give his patients the best possible outcome by combining the latest technological advances with personalized clinical care. By doing this and being fully trained in minimally invasive endovascular surgical approaches, he aims to have his patients recover as soon as possible in order to allow them to return to their daily lives with hopes of an improved quality of life.
Akil Patel, MD