Want to learn more about this at Kettering Health?Learn More
Do you live with irregular periods, acne and skin discoloration, unusual hair growth, and weight gain? You could be living be Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, commonly referred to as PCOS.
PCOS is a metabolic and hormonal disorder which affects up to 15% of women. A combination of genetic and environmental factors contributes to PCOS. As with any syndrome, not every woman with PCOS will experience it in the same way, but it is characterized by a core group of symptoms.
- Irregularities in menstrual cycles
- Pelvic pain typically caused by ovarian cysts
- High androgen levels
- Lack of ovulation
- Trouble conceiving
- Excess hair growth
- Trouble regulating weight / obesity
- Discoloration or darkening of skin
While there is no cure for PCOS it can be managed with lifestyle changes and help from your physician.
“Kettering Health offers a comprehensive treatment approach to PCOS including medication to address hormone imbalances, skin care specialists, sleep medicine, and a nutrition and exercise team,” says Dr. Michael McCullough, OB-GYN. “Whether you are in your teens, trying to start a family, or beyond child bearing age, our specialists will create a personalized treatment plan just for you.”
- Individualized or group classes on lifestyle modifications and personalized exercise regimens
- Metabolic evaluations and coaching from exercise and nutrition specialists on how to maximize your metabolism
- Management of skin conditions such as acne and excess hair growth
- Medication management of metabolic disorders such as insulin resistance, which can cause weight gain and difficulty losing weight
- Sleep medicine evaluation when appropriate