Kettering Health Hamilton has been verified as a Level III Trauma Center by the Verification Review Committee (VRC), an ad hoc committee of the Committee on Trauma (COT) of the American College of Surgeons (ACS).
This achievement recognizes the medical center’s dedication to providing optimal care for injured patients which includes a commitment to readiness, resources, policies, patient care, and performance improvement.
A Level III Trauma Center has demonstrated an ability to provide prompt assessment, resuscitation, surgery, intensive care and stabilization of injured patients and emergency operations.
Elements of Level III Trauma Center:
- Has 24-hour immediate coverage by emergency medicine physicians and prompt availability of general surgeons and anesthesiologists
- Incorporates a comprehensive quality assessment program
- Has developed transfer agreements for patients requiring more comprehensive care at a Level I or Level II Trauma Center
- Provides back-up care for rural and community hospitals
- Offers continued education of the nursing and allied health personnel or the trauma team
- Is involved with prevention efforts and has an active outreach program for its referring communities
Paul Hoover, Kettering Health Hamilton president, said, “The ACS’s verification solidifies what our teams have worked tirelessly to uphold: our readiness to provide every patient with precise and decisive trauma care. I can’t overstate the hard work and long hours invested by our leaders and teams—developing procedures and protocols; hiring and coordinating passionate, qualified care providers; upholding and elevating standards of care—that led to this verification.”
The ACS Committee on Trauma’s verification program provides confirmation that a trauma center has demonstrated its commitment to providing the highest quality trauma care for all injured patients. The establishment and the designation of trauma centers is the function of local, regional, or state health care systems agencies, such as the local emergency medical services (EMS) authority.
The month's most popular health news, stories, and tips in your inbox.Sign Up