After school, snacks are great for a quick energy boost—and they can also be nutritious. These protein-packed gluten-free chicken nuggets are perfect for your gradeschooler, high schooler, or even for yourself!
Gluten-free BBQ Chicken Nuggets
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
¼ cup brown rice flour
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 lb. chicken tenders, cut into chunks
1 8-oz can low-sodium tomato sauce
1 tbsp white distilled vinegar
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tbsp gluten-free Dijon mustard
2 tbsp honey
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Mix the flour, salt, and pepper. Coat the chicken in the flour mixture, then place in the skillet.
- Cook nuggets for 5 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and browned.
- While nuggets cool slightly, mix tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, mustard, and honey in a small saucepan until well-combined and sauce reaches a simmer.
- To serve, coat the chicken in the barbecue sauce and place on a serving plate.
Resources: Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, eatright.org
The month's most popular health news, stories, and tips in your inbox.Sign Up