Yield: 6 servings
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and grated
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
3 cups crushed tomatoes
16-ounce can chili beans with sauce
3 cups shredded cooked chicken
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Shredded cheddar cheese and tortilla chips for topping
- Heat the olive oil in a wide pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, bell peppers, a pinch of salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Cook and stir occasionally until the vegetables soften—about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sweet potato, garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Cook until combined—about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, chili beans with sauce, and 2 cups of water. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring until the chili thickens slightly—around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and continue to heat for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro; season with salt and pepper. Top with chips, cheese, and/or scallions.
Nutrition facts (per serving)
Total fat: 9 g
Total carbohydrates: 20 g
Dietary fiber: 6 g
Sodium: 400 mg
The month's most popular health news, stories, and tips in your inbox.Sign Up