Even if your Easter brunches are over for the season, you can still make Saturday mornings tasty and healthy with this artichoke spinach strata.
Yield: 12 servings
2 tablespoons canola oil (divided)
1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts (thawed)
4 garlic cloves, minced (divided)
1 pound fresh spinach
2 ½ cups 1% low-fat milk
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
6 large eggs
12 ounces low-calorie whole grain wheat bread cut into cubes
3 ounces crumbled herb cheese
3 ounces shredded swiss cheese
- Heat half of the canola oil over medium-high heat in skillet.
- Add artichokes, half of the garlic cloves, and cook for 4 minutes until the artichokes are softened.
- Remove from heat.
- In a separate skillet on medium heat, add remaining oil and garlic, and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add spinach, gradually tossing until spinach wilts—around 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer spinach to a strainer. Once drained, squeeze spinach to remove excess liquid.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, salt, pepper, and eggs.
- Add spinach, artichoke, bread cubes, and herb cheese to the milk mixture. Toss well.
- Spoon the bread mixture into a cooking spray-coated 13×9 glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle swiss cheese on top, cover, and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- The next day, remove from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature while oven preheats to 350 degrees.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Facts (per serving)
Total fat: 8 g
Carbohydrates: 16 g
Dietary fiber: 0.4 g
Sodium: 469 mg
Protein: 12 g
Sodium: 469 mg
The month's most popular health news, stories, and tips in your inbox.Sign Up