If you’re looking for somethign new to put those apples on your counter to use, give this Apple Oatmeal Cookie recipe a try. Using applesauce instead of butter makes these cookies a healthier sweet option the whole family will enjoy.
Prep time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Per 1 cookie:
- 110 cal
- 3 g fat (1 g sat)
- 19 g carbs
- 60 mg sodium
- 1 g fiber
- 12 g sugar
- 2 g protein
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1 medium-large apple, peeled, cored and diced into ½ inch cubes
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- In a small bowl, stir together oats, flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Melt butter in microwave at 10-second intervals until fully melted. Place in a large bowl with brown sugar and sugar. Whisk until combined. Add the egg and vanilla, whisking until combined. Stir in applesauce and then fold in apple pieces and walnuts.
- Cover bowl and dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease a baking sheet, or line with parchment paper.
- Drop tablespoons of dough on sheet and flatten with back of spoon. Bake for 10 minutes, or until bottoms begin to brown. Let cool on sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
*Recipe originally published on Daily Burn.