Is there anything more exciting, and simultaneously anxiety-inducing, as bringing a new baby into the world?
- Should I begin taking pre-natal vitamins as soon as we decide we want to start a family or wait until I’m actually pregnant?
- What if I have trouble nursing…is there someone who will be able to help me?
- What is the safest sleeping position for a baby?
- How do I install the baby’s car seat correctly?
Knowing what to expect when you’re expecting
Whether you’re currently expecting or just thinking about starting a family, Kettering Health Network’s holiday-themed baby fair at Soin Medical Center on Sunday, Dec. 11, from 2-4 p.m., is a great way for parents to obtain valuable information in a fun, family-friendly, and festive holiday environment.
The holiday-themed baby fair is a free, open-house event featuring display tables offering a wide range of support services and educational materials, as well as some pampering experiences. Of course, Santa will be in attendance and available for visits and photos.
And don’t worry, dads…the Bengals vs. Browns game will be televised for you!
In addition, expectant moms will be able to tour the state-of-the-art labor and delivery unit at Soin, as well as the mother/baby unit.
“Not only do we connect families with important information and resources, we also get to show off our wonderful unit,” said Esther Beasley, RN. “I love meeting potential patients and reconnecting and visiting with previous patients.”
The maternity unit at Soin Medical Center features:
- Six labor rooms with a nutrition room for both patients and their significant other
- 24-hour anesthesia coverage
- 24-hour laborist in-house, if an emergency arises
- A mother/baby unit with seven private rooms for the mother and newborn to recover in. Babies room-in with their mothers.
- Four private, special-care nursery beds for babies 32 weeks or above who need additional medical care
“In my opinion, this is the place to have your baby because of the one-on-one nursing care you will receive here,” said Laura Simpkinson, maternity nurse manager at Soin Medical Center. “We have outstanding doctors and nurses, as well as excellent patient satisfaction scores for a reason — that is because everyone on the unit cares about each person who comes through our doors.”
Online pre-registration and prizes
Pre-registration and details for the upcoming Soin Medical Center baby fair is available online by clicking here. By pre-registering, attendees will be eligible to win prizes, which will be awarded every 15 minutes. Although you will not be required to stay for the duration of the event to win, you must attend the event and check in at the welcome table.
“This is a very personal and special time in your life, and you will be treated like that,” said Simpkinson. “All of our physicians and nurses cater their care to each individual who comes on to our unit, and we work as a partnership with the patient to get the best outcome possible.”
The month's most popular health news, stories, and tips in your inbox.Sign Up