Often when people hear the word surgery they think of long hospital stays and painful recoveries. The reality is that surgery has made significant advancements over the years and there are now minimally invasive, outpatient surgical procedures that can improve quality of life with little time spent in the hospital.
Benefits of minimally invasive surgery include:
- Minimized rate of complications
- Shortened time in hospital
- Small incision for virtually scarless results
- Faster recovery times
3 of the more common minimally invasive gynecological procedures include:
Ovarian Cyst Removal – Robotic assisted surgery can be performed to remove ovarian cysts that are causing pain, issues with menstruation, or complications conceiving. Common types of cysts removed robotically include endometriomas, dermoids, serous/mucinous cystadenomas, as well as many others. Cysts can be removed through just a few small incisions.
Hysterectomy – A hysterectomy is the removal of the uterus which can improve many health conditions, including issues with pressure, fibroids, and prevention of pregnancy. There are two robotic options for hysterectomies:
- Multi-Site Hysterectomy: With just a 3-4 small incisions, your uterus is removed.
- Single-Site Hysterectomy: With just one small incision in your belly button, your uterus is removed using da Vinci®Single-Site® Surgery. This procedure allows for virtually scarless results. Da Vinci Single-Site Surgery is offered at Kettering Medical Center and Soin Medical Center.
Myomectomy – Myomectomy is the removal of uterine fibroids, also known as leiomyomas. These common noncancerous growths appear in the uterus wall, usually during childbearing years, but can occur at any age. These growths can become large, causing severe pain, problems conceiving, and other gynecologic issues. Myomectomies can help women who are trying to conceive or wishing to live without pain.
The month's most popular health news, stories, and tips in your inbox.Sign Up