As the weather starts to warm up, now is the perfect time to hit the hiking trails. A trail mix with the right ingredients can provide your body with the best kinds of nutrients to stay energized. Try this easy, customizable recipe for DIY healthy trail mix to take on your next outing.
Having correct ingredient ratios is the backbone of a delicious and nutritious trail mix. Follow these guidelines and choose your own favorites in each category to create a customizable trail mix.
- ½ Cup Raw Nuts. Ideally, use raw nuts that haven’t been roasted in oils and salt. Some great options are cashews, walnuts, almonds, or pecans.
- 1 Cup Raw Seeds – Pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are both an ideal size to include in a “grab-and-go” trail mix. Again, try to use seeds that have not been roasted in oils or salt.
- 1 Cup Dried Fruit. Go for unsweetened and unsulphured dried fruits for the most nutritious options. Try cranberries, cherries, blueberries, or raisins.
- ½ Cup – 1 Cup “Fun”. Life is all about balance, and adding some healthier fun options to your trail mix will kick it up a notch. Depending on if you want sweet or savory, try dark chocolate, pretzels, or popped popcorn.
- Pinch of Spice: A little bit of seasoning can go a long way. Try adding ¼ tsp sea salt, ½ tsp cinnamon, or a pinch of nutmeg to complete your customizable trail mix.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Store in a large resealable bag or mason jar, or separate into smaller snack bags and containers.
- Will keep for up to 1 month.
The month's most popular health news, stories, and tips in your inbox.Sign Up