Kettering Health Network (
Kettering Health Network Logo
Kettering Health Network Logo
Follow FaceBook Follow YouTube Follow Twitter Follow LinkedIn Share

 Latest Additions

Speak Up About What's Bothering You

May 03, 2019

Speak Up About What's Bothering You

Pelvic health issues are uncomfortable to talk about—even with your own doctor. But that should never stop you from bringing them up if you’re coping with uncomfortable, painful, or inconvenient changes in your pelvic health.

Pelvic health problems can affect men and women for many reasons. Some of the most common conditions and symptoms include:


For men:

  • Male infertility
  • Testicular mass
  • Impotence


For women:

  • Fallen bladder
  • Pelvic floor disorder
  • Prenatal and postpartum issues
  • Postmenopausal conditions


For both:

  • Blood in urine
  • Frequent urges to urinate
  • Leaking urine
  • Pain in the back or sides
  • Kidney stones
  • Pain or burning during urination
  • Urinary tract infections
  • Pain during intercourse


Is it a UTI?

See a health care provider if you have any of these signs of a urinary tract infection:

  • A burning feeling when you urinate
  • Frequent or intense urges to urinate
  • Pain in your back or side below the ribs
  • Cloudy, dark, bloody, or foul-smelling urine
  • Fever or chills


Seek help

If you experience any of these conditions, it may be time to see a urologist. Urologists are doctors who specialize in urinary and pelvic health care.

In addition to seeing urologists, women can also see a type of doctor called a urogynecologist. These doctors are trained in obstetrics, gynecology, or urology. Many receive extra training in female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery.

Some conditions can be treated with antibiotics, muscle-strengthening exercises, or minimally invasive surgery.


Reclaim control

To schedule an appointment with a urologist or urogynecologist, call 1-855-786-2649.